About the building of the Embassy
The land on which the building of the Embassy is located was bought in 1868 by the gardener Georg Friedrich Weber, a citizen of Hanover. He planted a garden on the entire area of the site, built a greenhouse and fountains. After his death, the site passed to his wife, who received permission to build a one-story stone house with a basement on the street. Caucasian (now Mindaugo St.). The work was supervised by Stanislav Stypulkovsky. It is believed that it was he who designed the villa.
At the end of the 19th century, the house with the plot was sold to the Ministry of Railways of Russia and rebuilt as an office of the railway of the Vilnius region of Russia. The construction was supervised by Alexey Melnikov, who built the Vilnius-Warsaw railway and is the father of Varvara Melnikova, the wife of youngest son A.Pushkin (Grigory Pushkin).
In 1910 the merchant Adolf Kitz bought the plot with the house. His wife Johanna-Emma and daughter Eugenia ran the villa until 1940. During this period, a terrace with a transition was added from the western facade of the building, and individual parts of the building were reconstructed outside and inside.
Due to the development of the quarter after World War II, the land plot decreased significantly, and the building located on it was transferred to the Vilnius District of the Baltic Railway. In connection with the adaptation of the building to a garden-nursery, almost all the stoves were eliminated (only one remained), the interior painting was painted over, some of the wooden bas-reliefs were removed, and some of the molded products were lost.
In the 90s, for 6-7 years, the building was without an owner, so heating and water supply systems did not work, the roof was leaking in many places. As a result, the walls got wet, plaster, paint and molding in many places became unusable.
In 1996, the building was purchased by the Republic of Belarus. The land plot with an area of 4874 sq.m. on which the building is located was leased to the Embassy free of charge for 50 years.
The restoration work lasted for several years, about $1,5 million was invested. An amazing stucco molding with floral ornaments has been recreated, in one of the rooms (a hall for receiving guests) a fireplace with a relief, green, glazed tiles and ornamental metal gratings has been restored (tiles were ordered from Finland). The hall is especially colorful with numerous sculptures, gilded columns, the pedestals of which are decorated with garland molding (the Ambassador's office).
Today it is one of the most beautiful buildings among the embassies of Belarus abroad.
The building represents the neo-baroque style. The building is brick, plastered. The main (eastern) facade is symmetrical, with a ledge in the middle. The turret is decorated with carved elements. Densely spaced large rectangular windows encircle the platbands, around the windows — molding in the form of leaves. The decor elements of the main facade are repeated on all facades. The entrance to the north façade has four columned porticos. From the western side, a hall protrudes into the courtyard; next to it there is a terrace with an open colonnade. On the south side, there is a square greenhouse, which stands out for its high wall windows.